Yesterday, I decided to use all my over ripe bananas by making a Banana bread. But my son said he would like an Orange cake instead. So I decided to mix both. My sister had highly recommended a Banana cake recipe which she forwarded me along with tons of positive things about this recipe. I modified this recipe to include freshly squeezed orange juice and orange rind, and adjusted the flour accordingly.
Increasing the flour meant more batter, so we had some cupcakes as well.
A small mini cake to go along. I was out of walnuts, as my kids have a big appetite for nuts and berries. As luck would have it, I had bought a packet of dried wild berries a day before, and they have not had a chance to finish it yet. So, I used berries instead.
Here's the recipe
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup or freshly squeezed juice from 1 large orange
rind from 1 large orange
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix orange rind and sugar thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Mix mashed bananas, orange juice and milk together.
- Blend dry ingredients into batter alternating with banana and orange mixture. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round or square baking pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, then turn out on racks until thoroughly cool. When ready to serve frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
You can find the original Banana Walnut cake recipe here.
Happy Baking !